“The best thing about Organic Armor’s work is that, not only are they beautiful beyond words but they are so light and secure to dance in, I forget I am wearing them at all.”
Jaydee Copperfield, commissioned dance costume
Organic Armor is an artform, a studio and a community.
At it’s root, it is a versatile method of constructing costumes and props using a combination of latex rubber, fiber, and acrylic. It was invented by Paul Hersey in the early 2000s. He has been refining and developing it ever since.
The Organic Armor studio opened in 2007. Using these unique methods we make wearable art for customers all over the world.
In 2015 we began teaching other artists how to use the methods and materials. An international community of artists is now engaged in expanding the possibilities of the artform.
QUALITIES OF ORGANIC ARMOR
- It looks like metal, leather, bone or other natural materials but it is lightweight and comfortable.
- It’s flexible and durable – bounces back if you accidentally sit on it. You can pack in a suitcase without worrying.
- It lasts for many years. We have fifteen year old armor that has been to Burning Man mutiple times and still looks great.
- It’s lightweight. The Cleopatra headdress in the photo weighs less than 3 pounds. You can dance all night without getting a neck ache and spin around without poking anyone!
- It’s easy to care for – wipe off with a damp rag.
See examples of Organic Armor in the galleries. We make our pieces look great but they also feel great. You don’t have to suffer for fantastic style!
“I heard the whole room gasp when I walked out. The headdress is just out of this world. I became one with it.”
Giselle Mencio, commissioned dance costume (more testimonials here)
More questions? See our FAQ here.